|THE REAL MOUTH OF THE NOTEĆ
Santok did not lie at the confluence of the Noteć and the Warta until 1787-1788, when the reconstruction of the lower stretch of the Warta was completed under the rule of Frederick II, shifting the outlet of the Noteć 1.5 km (0.93 mi) to the north. It was then that the first bridge was built, whose central span was a drawbridge, enabling boats to pass with sails set. A causeway from Santok to Skwierzyna has been constructed on an artificial dike, separating the flood plains of the Warta and the Noteć. The old mouth of the Noteć is noticeable from where the bridge now stands.
THE KOSTRZYN STORAGE RESERVOIR
On an area of 5,100 ha, an artificial reservoir has been created which takes in the swollen waters of the Warta and the Odra in the months when floods occur. The environment has been re-naturalised for several hundred species of birds as well as for beavers and otters. This wetland is drained by means of intermediate pumping stations, built at the beginning of the 20th c.
The town is over 1,000 years old and was called the watchtower and key of the kingdom by chronicler Gall Anonim (Gallus Anonymus). Overlooking Santok, where the Noteć and the Warta meet, is an elevation with an observation tower from which it is possible to see Gorzów Wlkp., a dozen or so kilometres away. Worth visiting in this village of less than 1,000 residents is the Santok Stronghold Museum.
THE UJŚCIE WARTY NATIONAL PARK|
Also known as Błota Nadwarciańskie (The Warta Wetlands), the park was established in 2001, which makes it the youngest national park in Poland. The area of more than 8,000 ha of wetlands, meadows and riparian forests is criss-crossed by tens of canals, melioration ditches and oxbow lakes of the Warta’s former delta, harbouring sanctuaries of over 250 bird species, including rare ones such as the white-tailed eagle, the whooper swan, or the rough-legged buzzard. Due to the abundance of fauna, it is protected by the international Ramsar Convention and as a Natura 2000 area.
Formerly called Lansberg, founded in the 13th c. on the RB of the Warta River, the city is of interest not only for its historic Gothic cathedral but also because of numerous legends connected e.g. with the still surviving well of the witches. Gorzów “faces” the river. Mooring places have been prepared in the city centre and the riverside boulevard has been revitalised. The floating pride of Gorzów is the oldest ice-breaker in the world, built in 1884 – the Kuna, moored in the river shipyard’s basin, located on the LB at km 57.3, before the Lubuski Bridge.
Not far from our route, at km 28.5, lies the first safari park in Poland, which you can drive through in a car. On an area of 20 ha you can see over 700 animals, e.g. from Australia, Africa, and both Americas.
IW E70 – THE EAST-WEST (E-W) STRETCH
THE BYDGOSZCZ CANAL
IW E70 – THE SOUTH-NORTH (S-N) STRETCH
THE VISTULA LAGOON
THE ELBLĄG RIVER AND THE JAGIELLONIAN CANAL
THE MARTWA WISŁA, THE ŚMIAŁA WISŁA, THE GDAŃSK MOTŁAWA
WATERWAY SIGNS AND MARKING
SCHEMES OF LOCKS AND HARBOURS