|THE GDAŃSKA GŁOWA LOCK
Built in 1895 during the reconstruction of the Vistula’s estuary, the lock measures 12.5 by 61 metres (41 by 200.1 ft) and takes its name after the fortress that was pulled down in the 17th c. In the times when Przekop Wisły was not yet in existence, this was the only strategic place enabling the control of Gdańsk trade.
THE PRZEGALINA LOCK
This is the only barrage on the so-called Gdańsk Vistula (Wisła Gdańska). Its construction enables navigation on the Martwa Wisła and the barrage itself protects nearby areas from flood. Two locks are situated here at present. The first one (northern) was built in 1895. In 1981 the second one was put into operation: the modern and much larger southern lock, measuring 11.9 by 188 m (39.04 by 616.8 ft). In 1992, the Northern Przegalina was put out of service and entered into the Register of Historic Monuments.
RIVER GAUGE IN KORZENIEWO
This historic river gauge was erected in the 1840s, during the construction of the river port in Korzeniewo. Its mechanism was automated, dependent on the water level in the Vistula and in the port thanks to the large dial mounted on the building’s turret, the readings of the river gauge could be seen from the deck of a barge or a tug. The building resembles a chapel or an Orthodox church, and few people are aware of its original function.
is called a Town of Love, because in the fara (old parish church) there, dating back to the turn of the 13th and 14th centuries, relics of St Valentine are kept. Numerous themed events are held here on February 14. Apart from Valentine’s Day, the town has many other attractions for those in love. Achitecture lovers will be interested to know that the town was built to a scheme adopted in advance, based on the so-called Chełmno rod, which used to be a unit of length. The standard has been placed in the town hall, and the effects of the town having been built using this method (referred to as the law of Chełmno) can be seen from the fara tower.
What rivets the eye in Grudziądz is the 16th-century brick granaries, located near the old town and give the impression of being huge when looked at from the river, although they are only several floors high. The buildings that lie closest to Brama Wodna (Water Gate) house The Rev. Dr W. Łęga Museum, which presents e.g. archaeological, ethnographic or numismatic collections. Other buildings of former granaries are inhabited or are still to be adapted for various purposes.
Tczew has Poland’s first Museum of the Vistula River, which is the third museum in the world devoted to a river; the museum promotes the region’s history and traditions. Other places worth visiting include Tczew’s oldest historic monument – the 13th-century fara church – and the old town, also dating back to the Middle Ages.
IW E70 – THE EAST-WEST (E-W) STRETCH
THE BYDGOSZCZ CANAL
IW E70 – THE SOUTH-NORTH (S-N) STRETCH
THE VISTULA LAGOON
THE ELBLĄG RIVER AND THE JAGIELLONIAN CANAL
THE MARTWA WISŁA, THE ŚMIAŁA WISŁA, THE GDAŃSK MOTŁAWA
WATERWAY SIGNS AND MARKING
SCHEMES OF LOCKS AND HARBOURS