|THE BRDYUJŚCIE LOCK
Until recently, the brick lock opened in 1879 was the first lock along the Vistula-Odra Waterway. Its width is 18 m (59 ft) and its length 57 m (187 ft), which enables simultaneous locking of a set of two barges or a barge with a tug or a pushboat. Put out of service in 2002, after the Czersko Polskie Lock was put into operation.
THE CZERSKO POLSKIE WEIR
Built in 1904-1907, the historic roller gate dam is the oldest facility of this kind in Poland. The red-brick building beside the weir houses an engine room with a water power plant, and on the opposite side there is a modern hydroelectric plant from the 1990s. Below the weir, there is the natural, though unfortunately non-navigable, outlet of the Brda into the Vistula. During World War II, combat troops of Detached Unit “Wisła” were stationed here and sailed out for their defence tasks in September 1939 from here, defending e.g. the bridge in the Fordon district.
“KUJAWY” POWER PLANT ON THE BRDA MŁYNÓWKA
Dammed up by the Farny Weir, the Brda River swiftly flows around Młyńska Island and propels the hydroelectric plant’s water turbines at the very heart of the city (km 11.87, RB). Formerly, the Royal Mint was located here, and later an oat mill. In order to see the hydroelectric plant as well as the exhibits collected, approach the staff.
|THE CANALISED BRDA
Together with the Bydgoszcz Canal, the river connects two inland waterway systems: eastern and western. Only through Bydgoszcz can you get from Gdańsk to Wrocław or from Cracow to Szczecin by water. Since the emergence of the Bydgoszcz Canal in 1774, Bydgoszcz developed from a small town of less than 1,000 inhabitants to an 80,000-strong agglomeration in the early 1920s. The factories, mills, sawmills, brickyards and power plants emerging on the river that had a port gave employment to local inhabitants, and the products of their work were exported by water to Berlin and further to the west of Europe.
A TIGHTROPE WALKER CROSSING THE RIVER
At km 11.7, before the bridge, on a rope stretched across the Brda, you will see a figure of a tightrope walker balancing over the river, ceremonially unveiled on May 1, 2004 – the day Poland joined the EU. It is said that the tightrope walker is heading for the Archer – the famous statue, a symbol of Bydgoszcz, which used to stand at Plac Teatralny.
GRANARIES: BYDGOSZCZ WATERFRONT
On the stretch between the Bernardyński Bridge (km 11.34) and the Sulima-Kamiński Bridge (km 11.7), on the LB you will first see the modern buildings of two banks, stylised to look like granaries, and then the historic granaries built in the 18th and 19th c. At present, they are the seat of the Leon Wyczółkowski District Museum.
IW E70 – THE EAST-WEST (E-W) STRETCH
THE BYDGOSZCZ CANAL
IW E70 – THE SOUTH-NORTH (S-N) STRETCH
THE VISTULA LAGOON
THE ELBLĄG RIVER AND THE JAGIELLONIAN CANAL
THE MARTWA WISŁA, THE ŚMIAŁA WISŁA, THE GDAŃSK MOTŁAWA
WATERWAY SIGNS AND MARKING
SCHEMES OF LOCKS AND HARBOURS