|THE BIAŁA GÓRA LOCK
A complex of hydrotechnical structures separating the waters of the Vistula and the Nogat. The history of the locks goes back to the 16th c., when the residents of Gdańsk and Elbląg dug canals in order to regulate the channels of both rivers. This caused frequent changes in water levels and even problems with navigability. The system of locks consists of the so-called Wielki Upust (Great Relief) Lock (regulating the water level in the Nogat), a pound lock (regulating the flow of water from the Vistula to the Nogat), a small lock at the confluence of the Liwa and the Nogat (not used at present), as well as weirs. Locks are a first-rate attraction due to the craftsmanship and precision of their construction.
|When heading for the Vistula Lagoon, boaters encounter three other locks after Biała Góra: Rakowiec, Szonowo (in the outskirts of Malbork) and the lock in Michałowo. These were built at the beginning of the 20th c. as part of the “canalisation of the Nogat” project, aimed at facilitating navigation and shipping. All of the locks are typical of the Nogat cascade, each consisting of an earthen dam, a pound lock and a weir with a fish pass; their gates are operated manually. In recent years, ecological water power plants have been built at each of the locks.|
|THE TEUTONIC KNIGHTS’ CASTLE IN MALBORK
A treat not only for history lovers, who arrive here in July for the annual Siege of Malbork, commemorating the events of 1410, but also for medieval architecture enthusiasts. The history of the castle goes back to XIII century, when Malbork became the new seat of the Teutonic Order’s master. In 1457-1772 it was one of the seats of Polish kings. It is worthwhile beginning your exploration of the castle from the north wing, where there used to be private apartments of the Order’s masters, as well as dormitories and a chapel. It is also worthwhile visiting the defence tower that used to serve sanitary purposes. The castle is open for visitors all the year round.
THE LAS MĄTAWSKI NATURE RESERVE|
The reserve protects forest complexes at the bifurcation of the Vistula and the Nogat. It is the largest forest community in this area. There is an ash and oak forest there, with over 180-year-old white poplars called “The Twelve Apostles.”
IW E70 – THE EAST-WEST (E-W) STRETCH
THE BYDGOSZCZ CANAL
IW E70 – THE SOUTH-NORTH (S-N) STRETCH
THE VISTULA LAGOON
THE ELBLĄG RIVER AND THE JAGIELLONIAN CANAL
THE MARTWA WISŁA, THE ŚMIAŁA WISŁA, THE GDAŃSK MOTŁAWA
WATERWAY SIGNS AND MARKING
SCHEMES OF LOCKS AND HARBOURS