|THE NARROW-GAUGE RAILWAY BRIDGE IN RYBINA
Before Rybina lies the bridge of Żuławy Narrow-Gauge Railway (ŻKD), built in 1905. The narrow-gauge railway runs on it in summer. The mechanism of the bridge is based on a system of gears and transmissions, and muscle power is necessary to operate it.
THE LAND DRAINAGE SYSTEM OF ŻUŁAWY
It includes e.g. Osłonka and Chłodniewo pumping stations. The latter is the largest facility of this kind in Poland and drains c. 22,000 ha (85 sq mi) of drainless areas. It can pump 7,000 litres in a second! Together with Osłonka, the two stations have replaced 69 polders. After contacting the management of the Melioration and Water Facilities Board of the pomorskie voivodeship, it is possible to observe the functioning of both these facilities with your own eyes.
THE GDAŃSKA GŁOWA LOCK
The construction of the Gdańska Głowa Lock in 1895 made navigation on the Szkarpawa possible again. The facility was named after the former fortress, which existed until the late 17th century at the bifurcation of the Vistula into the Martwa Wisła (the Dead Vistula) and the Szkarpawa. Apart from performing its main function, the lock protects the inhabitants of Żuławy from floods. Its buildings may only be seen from the outside. As a part of ‘Żuławy Loop’ project the electrical control was introduced in place of manual drive.
Arcaded houses, with frame construction and brick filling, are one of the major monuments of Żuławy. They are distinguished by the arcade – a protruding floor resting on a few pillars. They initially performed a storage function, and, with the years, more and more often a residential function as well. Buildings of this type can be seen e.g. in: Żuławki, Żuławki Książęce and Izbiska.
Windmills used to be a typical element in the landscape of Żuławy. A majority of those several hundred located here used to drain polders. The others would grind flour. Their construction differed, too – the simplest wooden windmills (koźlaki) were found here as well as more elaborate Dutch windmills (holendry). Gradually, however, windmills sank into oblivion, supplanted by steam pumps. Those found in Drewnica and Palczewo are among the last ones remaining.
THE ŻUŁAWY DEPRESSION
The Żuławy region attracts tourists not only with interesting architectural or hydrotechnical monuments but also with the landscape, so unique in Poland. It is one of the youngest and lowest-lying Polish geographical regions. 28% of the area of Żuławy is depressions, including the greatest one in Poland, 1.8 m (6 ft) bsl. It is located in Raczki Elbląskie, where a monument has been erected to mark this fact.
IW E70 – THE EAST-WEST (E-W) STRETCH
THE BYDGOSZCZ CANAL
IW E70 – THE SOUTH-NORTH (S-N) STRETCH
THE VISTULA LAGOON
THE ELBLĄG RIVER AND THE JAGIELLONIAN CANAL
THE MARTWA WISŁA, THE ŚMIAŁA WISŁA, THE GDAŃSK MOTŁAWA
WATERWAY SIGNS AND MARKING
SCHEMES OF LOCKS AND HARBOURS