|THE STONE SLUICE (STOPIEŃ KAMIENNA GRODZA)
A fragment of 16th and 17th century Gdańsk fortifications, situated on the Motława (in line with Kamienna Grobla and Na Szańcach Streets). In place of the former lock, a flood-gate now functions. It closes and opens automatically when the water level in the Motława rises. It is possible that after passing through the gate and on returning from a trip along the Motława we will find the gate closed. The Regional Water Management Board opens it for the period when there is no danger of flood.
THE WATER BUS NETWORK IN GDAŃSK
The project aims to activate waterways through the creation of infrastructure: piers, water bus service, and marinas. Water bus stops have emerged at Westerplatte, at the National Sailing Centre, at Wiosny Ludów Street, at the Green Bridge, near Wisłoujście Fortress – at Barge Quay, at the Fish Market, and in Stogi. Sailing harbours will also be built in Sienna Grobla II and Tamka, as well as a kayak and motorboat harbour in Żabi Kruk Street.
YACHT AND MOTORBOAT HARBOUR MARINA GDAŃSK
Built in 1997, when Gdańsk was celebrating its millenary. The 290-metre harbour lies along Szafarnia Quay, opposite the Gdańsk Crane. It has electricity, light, water, and washing facilities. A new back of marina is located in Granary of Nowa Pakownia where Hotel Gdańsk and Restaurant Brewery BROVARNIA are placed. There are two sailing shops in the hotel and the granary. The marina is closed by Stągiewny Bridge and Stągiewna Tower.
|SAINT DOMINIC’S FAIR IN GDAŃSK
Saint Dominic’s Fair in Gdańsk. The Fair has a 750-year tradition. It was originally meant to encourage the faithful to attend the indulgence mass. Year by year, the event grew in scale and importance. World War II disrupted the tradition. Revived in 1972, the fair lasted two weeks, and since 2004 it lasts three weeks. It is a commercial event nowadays, with handicraftsmen, collectors, and artists participating.
Gdańsk is an important place on the amber trail of the pomorskie voivodeship. It is worthwhile visiting the Museum of Amber – a branch of the City of Gdańsk Historical Museum, seeing the Amber Altar in St. Brigit’s Church and the Museum of Amber Inclusions at the University of Gdańsk; you can also go shopping to the enchanting Mariacka Street, where galleries and amber shops are situated.
It is an unusual fortification structure, situated on an island. Its history goes back to the 15th century. Until 1758 the fortress served as a lighthouse, in the 19th century it used to be a prison, and in the interwar period it housed a sailing club. Since 1947 the fortress houses a branch of the City of Gdańsk Historical Museum. It is one of the largest wintering places of bats in the voivodeship.
IW E70 – THE EAST-WEST (E-W) STRETCH
THE BYDGOSZCZ CANAL
IW E70 – THE SOUTH-NORTH (S-N) STRETCH
THE VISTULA LAGOON
THE ELBLĄG RIVER AND THE JAGIELLONIAN CANAL
THE MARTWA WISŁA, THE ŚMIAŁA WISŁA, THE GDAŃSK MOTŁAWA
WATERWAY SIGNS AND MARKING
SCHEMES OF LOCKS AND HARBOURS