|THE OKOLE AND CZYŻKÓWKO LOCKS
Built in 1908-1915, the locks allow to move through the elevation of 7.5 m (24.6 ft). Each has two water saving basins, which we see filled or drained when locking. This used to make a difference when traffic was heavy on the canal. The use of the basins enabled a 40% saving of water. The Okole Lock was the place where episodes of the famous series “Four Tankmen and a Dog” (Czterej pancerni i pies) were shot – its gate served as the scenery for blowing up a dam. Also known is the scene of the destruction of the tank Rudy and its turret getting thrown off. Since 2010, the turret can be seen on the escarpment over the lock. In August, battle scenes are acted out near the lock.
|THE PEAK SECTION OF THE VISTULA-ODRA WATERWAY
This stretch of the BC is enclosed by locks: Osowa Góra in the east and Józefinka in the west. It is the highest elevation of the Odra and Vistula rivers watershed. The gradient in both directions is minimal, and the difference of water levels between this section and the Vistula is c. 32 m (105 ft). This is the place where the route called the Great Wielkopolska Loop begins.
Opened in 2009, this marina for about 25 vessels of different sizes is situated at km 16 of the V-O W. Comfortable stay is guaranteed by access to water and electricity at the quay, 24-hour video surveillance, the possibility of disposing of the wastes, access to showers, a launderette, a drying room, and a sauna. Nearby, there are groceries, a petrol station and a public transport station. In the season, the marina is also used as a water tram stop.
|THE BYDGOSZCZ BRIDGEHEAD
The fortified area defending Bydgoszcz in 1939. Between Zielonczyn and Osówiec, 17 ferroconcrete bunkers were built, connected by trenches. In front of them, there were barbed wire entanglements and minefields. These fortifications delayed the entry of German troops into Bydgoszcz for three days. At about km 24, utility buildings are visible to starboard; it is possible (with the host’s permission) to moor to a pier and take a 3-4 km (1.8-2.5 mi) hike to see the open-air museum of fortifications in Zielonczyn as well as the tourist route along the Bydgoszcz Bridgehead fortifications.
Stopping at km 31.7 near the road bridge, you can take a walk in the northern direction in order to see the remains of Lake Ślesińskie, the so called Cardinal’s Pond (Staw Kardynalski). The neighbouring area is a sanctuary of many protected species of birds. After a “hunt” with a pair of binoculars and a camera, it is possible to replenish your provisions in the village of Gorzeń.
IW E70 – THE EAST-WEST (E-W) STRETCH
THE BYDGOSZCZ CANAL
IW E70 – THE SOUTH-NORTH (S-N) STRETCH
THE VISTULA LAGOON
THE ELBLĄG RIVER AND THE JAGIELLONIAN CANAL
THE MARTWA WISŁA, THE ŚMIAŁA WISŁA, THE GDAŃSK MOTŁAWA
WATERWAY SIGNS AND MARKING
SCHEMES OF LOCKS AND HARBOURS